Deli Rye Bread

Fri, 27 May 2022 19:54:24 -0700
v122.n018.3
* Exported from MasterCook *

                              Bread, Deli Rye

Recipe By     :Andrew Janjigian
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Low Fat                         Posted

   2 1/2           cups  all-purpose flour -- (12 1/2 oz)
   1 1/2           cups  rye flour -- (8 1/4 oz)
   1         tablespoon  caraway seeds
   2 1/2      teaspoons  instant yeast -- or rapid-rise yeast
   1 2/3           cups  water -- (13 1/3 oz), plus
      1/2           cup  water -- room temperature, (4 oz)
   1         tablespoon  vegetable oil
   2          teaspoons  molasses
   1 1/2      teaspoons  salt
   4          teaspoons  cornstarch

To pack more rye flour into our Deli Rye Bread without making it dry
or crumbly, we added more water than most recipes call for. Adding a
small amount of vegetable oil also helped keep the crumb tender. To
provide adequate structure without weighing the loaf down, we used
King Arthur all-purpose flour rather than lower-protein all-purpose
flour or higher-protein bread flour. For a hint of sweetness and
complexity, we added a small amount of molasses. Finally, for a
glossy finish and a tender crust, we brushed the loaf with a cooked
cornstarch wash.

We prefer King Arthur all-purpose flour for this recipe; if you have
trouble finding it at your supermarket, you can use any brand of
bread flour instead. Any grade of rye flour will work in this recipe,
but for the best flavor and texture we recommend using medium or dark
rye flour. Do not use blackstrap molasses here; its flavor is too intense.

MAKES: 1 LOAF

Whisk all-purpose flour, rye flour, caraway seeds, and yeast together
in bowl of stand mixer. Whisk 1 2/3 cups water, oil, and molasses in
4-cup liquid measuring cup until molasses has dissolved.

Fit stand mixer with dough hook; add water mixture to flour mixture
and knead on low speed until cohesive dough starts to form and no dry
flour remains, about 2 minutes, scraping down bowl as needed. Cover
bowl tightly with plastic wrap and let dough rest for 20 minutes.

Add salt to dough and knead on medium-low speed until dough is smooth
and elastic and clears sides of bowl, about 5 minutes.

Transfer dough to lightly floured counter and knead by hand to form
smooth, round ball, about 30 seconds. Place dough seam side down in
lightly oiled large bowl, cover tightly with plastic, and let rise
until doubled in size, 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

Transfer dough to lightly floured counter and gently press into 8"
disk, then fold edges toward middle to form round. Cover loosely with
plastic and let rest for 15 minutes.

Adjust oven racks to middle and lowest positions, place baking stone
on upper rack, and heat oven to 450F. Line overturned rimmed baking
sheet with parchment paper and dust lightly with rye flour. Gently
press and stretch dough into 12 by 9" oval, with short end of oval
facing edge of counter. Fold top left and right edges of dough
diagonally into center of oval and press gently to seal. Fold point
of dough into center of oval and press seam gently to seal. Rotate
dough 180F and repeat folding and sealing top half of dough.

Fold dough in half toward you to form rough 8 by 4" crescent-shaped
loaf. Using heel of your hand, press seam closed against counter.
Roll loaf seam side down. Tuck ends under loaf to form rounded
torpedo shape. Gently slide your hands underneath loaf and transfer,
seam side down, to prepared sheet.

Spray sheet of plastic with vegetable oil spray and cover loaf
loosely. Let loaf rise until increased in size by about half and
dough springs back minimally when poked gently with your knuckle, 45
minutes to 1 1/4 hours.

Place empty loaf pan on bottom oven rack. Using sharp paring knife or
single-edge razor blade, make six to eight 4" long, 1/2" deep slashes
with swift, fluid motion across width of loaf, spacing slashes about
1" apart. Pour 2 cups boiling water into empty loaf pan in oven.

Slide parchment and loaf from sheet onto baking stone. Bake until
deep golden brown and loaf registers 205 to 210F, 25 to 30 minutes,
rotating loaf halfway through baking. Transfer loaf to wire rack.

Whisk cornstarch and remaining 1/2 cup water in bowl until cornstarch
has dissolved. Microwave, whisking frequently, until mixture is
thickened, 1 to 2 minutes.

Brush top and sides of loaf with 3 tablespoons cornstarch mixture
(you will have extra cornstarch mixture). Let cool completely, about
3 hours, before slicing and serving.

Cal 242, Fat 2g, Carb 47g, Sod 266mg, Fiber 3g, Pro 6g

S(Internet address):
   https://www.cooksillustrated.com/recipes/9478-deli-rye-bread

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 161 Calories; 2g Fat (9.7%
calories from fat); 4g Protein; 32g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber;
0mg Cholesterol; 270mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean
Meat; 0 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2019 - 0612