Granola Scones

Fri, 30 Sep 2022 22:29:23 -0700
v122.n029.1
* Exported from MasterCook *

                              Scones, Granola

Recipe By     : Roxana Jullapat
Serving Size  : 6     Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Biscuits/Scones                 Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Fruit                           Nuts
                 Posted

      1/4           cup  whole wheat flour -- plus
   2              Tbsp.  whole wheat flour -- (53 g)
      1/2           cup  old-fashioned rolled oats -- plus
   1              Tbsp.  old-fashioned rolled oats -- (57 g)
      1/2          tsp.  ground cinnamon
      1/2          tsp.  baking powder
      1/4          tsp.  baking soda
      1/8          tsp.  kosher salt
   6              Tbsp.  unsalted butter -- chilled, cut into 1/2"
pieces, (3/4 stick)
      1/4           cup  all-purpose flour -- plus
   2              Tbsp.  all-purpose flour -- plus more for dusting, (47 g)
   2              Tbsp.  sugar -- raw, plus more for sprinkling
                         Zest from 1 orange
   1                cup  dates -- Medjool, chopped pitted, (about 16) (145 g)
   1                cup  raisins -- golden, (145 g)
      1/2           cup  flax seeds -- (80 g)
      1/2           cup  almonds -- sliced, (45 g)
      1/3           cup  coconut -- unsweetened shredded, (30 g)
   6              Tbsp.  currants -- dried black, (55 g)
   5              Tbsp.  seeds -- pumpkin, (pepitas), (50 g)
      1/3           cup  heavy cream -- plus more for brushing

These scones are full of flavors and textures reminiscent of a
granola bar," writes Roxana Jullapat in her cookbook Mother Grains
(out April 2021). "They're neither terribly sweet nor what a
nutritionist would recommend to clients. They're rich in fiber,
omega-3s, antioxidants, and protein, with a sweet kick from copious
dried fruit and a sprinkle of raw sugar. They don't need to be served
with clotted cream or jam and are best enjoyed as a midday snack or
an accompaniment to morning coffee.

Place a rack in middle of oven; preheat to 350. Pulse whole wheat
flour, oats, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, salt, butter, 1/4
cup plus 2 Tbsp. (47 g) all-purpose flour, and 2 Tbsp. raw sugar in a
food processor until butter is no larger than pea-size, 5-7 pulses.
Transfer to a large bowl; mix in orange zest, dates, raisins,
flaxseed, almonds, coconut, currants, and pumpkin seeds. Toss by hand
until well combined, then make a well in the center. Pour cream into
well and toss vigorously with your hands (like a salad) until mixture
comes together to form a dough.

Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface and pat into a
6"-diameter disk about 1" thick. Using a large chef's knife, cut disk
into 6 equal wedges. The dough will be crumbly and may fall apart as
you cut it; don't be afraid to compact it back together.

Arrange scones on a parchment-lined baking sheet, spacing at least 2"
apart. Lightly brush top of each scone with cream and sprinkle with
raw sugar. Bake scones, rotating baking sheet front to back halfway
through, until light golden, 25 to 30 minutes. Let scones cool on
baking sheet before serving.

Do ahead: Scones can be made 3 days ahead. Store airtight at room temperature.

Review: Excellent and different scones! Definitely not a traditional
cream scone, but that's what makes them so good. I didn't have any
trouble with the crumbliness and they baked quite nicely. The final
result is moist and tender. I used spelt flour instead of whole wheat
and substituted dried apricots for half of the raisins.

Review: I made them the first time, and found I had to pulse the figs
and other dried fruits as well as the flax seed and oats. They were
very crumbly and delicious. I used all whole wheat flour and added a
1/2 cup of dark chocolate chips. The second time, I added a quarter
cup of 2% Greek yogurt to solve the crumbly problem and added a full
cup of dark chocolate chips. I increased the orange zest and again
pulsed the nuts, seeds, and fruits variously to make a more even
crumb for the dough. Winner!

Review: These are absolutely delicious, and 1 scone is a meal in
itself. The dough is very dry and crumbly, and needs a lot of work to
hold together. But once baked, they are moist and yummy. My husband
has these on repeat request, as they fuel him completely before his bike rides.

Review: I loved everything about this scone! I would agree it's not
your traditional scone, but I wasn't expecting it to be given all of
the nuts, fruits and seeds added to the mix. It was light, and yes
crumbly like granola but had so much depth and flavor. I substituted
dried figs for the dates, and dried cherries for the raisins and cut
mine into eights. I found them be just the right size for breakfast
or an in-between-meal snack. I will definitely be making these again!

Review: Disappointing. Dry and needed to be nuked and buttered to
make it palatable but I was looking for something to take hiking or
to eat while driving to trailheads. Flax seed is problematic and
probably should be ground.

Review: The flavor was good - toasty and buttery like an oatmeal
raisin cookie, but they are very crumbly and need more scone essence.
The crumbliness might've the oats as I've had this issue with a
different oat scone. I might try this concept of granola loading
again but with another whole wheat scone base recipe that I use consistently.

Review: These were very delicious but verrrrry crumbly both in
getting the dough together and eating. I had to add an extra 1-2
Tbsps of cream to the dough to get it to even remotely stick
together, and had to pat the pieces back together after slicing. They
looked like a hot mess but still tasted great! Next time I might try
pulsing the fruit in the food processor to get them to meld into the
dough better.

Review: Excellent flavor, a bit crumbly but nonetheless moist. Not
sure if it reminds me of granola but delicious with a cup of tea. Will repeat!

S(Internet address):
   https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/granola-scones

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 618 Calories; 33g Fat (45.4%
calories from fat); 12g Protein; 78g Carbohydrate; 12g Dietary Fiber;
49mg Cholesterol; 152mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1/2
Lean Meat; 3 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 6 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2021 - 0401