Angel Biscuits

Fri, 30 Sep 2022 22:30:05 -0700
v122.n029.7
If you are expectimg guests for Thanksgiving consider these biscuits.
This will feed a hugh amount of people.

* Exported from MasterCook *

                              Biscuits, Angel

Recipe By     : Pam Lolley
Categories    : Biscuits/Scones                 Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Posted

      1/2           cup  water -- warm, (100F to 110F)
   2 1/4            tsp  active dry yeast -- (1/4-oz.)
   1           teaspoon  granulated sugar -- divided, plus
   3              Tbsp.  granulated sugar
   5               cups  all-purpose flour
   1         tablespoon  baking powder
   1 1/2      teaspoons  salt
   1           teaspoon  baking soda
      1/2           cup  butter -- salted, cold, cubed
      1/2           cup  shortening -- cold, cubed
   2               cups  buttermilk -- whole
   6        tablespoons  butter -- salted, melted and divided

Honestly, these angel biscuits come by their name because they taste
like they're sent right from heaven to our plate. One Test Kitchen
professional said these "addictive" biscuits are "light and airy with
the yeasty flavor of a dinner roll." It's a flaky and light cross
between a buttermilk biscuit and a Parker House roll, and they can be
prepared one week in advance to make your holiday cooking schedule a
little less stressful. For making this recipe ahead, just throw
together the dough and store in refrigerator until ready to bake. You
might even be able to convince the kids to behave like angels in
order to get an Angel Biscuit this Thanksgiving.

Active: 20 mins
Total: 2:40
Yield: about 3 1/2 dozen

Stir together warm water, yeast, and 1 teaspoon of the sugar in a
small bowl. Let stand 5 minutes.

Stir together flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda, and remaining
3 tablespoons sugar in a large bowl; cut cold butter and cold
shortening into flour mixture with a pastry blender or 2 forks until
crumbly. Add yeast mixture and buttermilk to flour mixture, stirring
just until dry ingredients are moistened. Cover bowl with plastic
wrap; chill at least 2 hours or up to 5 days.

Preheat oven to 400F. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface,
and knead 3 or 4 times. Gently roll into a 1/2" thick circle, and
fold in half; repeat. Gently roll to 1/2" thickness; cut with a 2"
round cutter. Reroll remaining scraps, and cut with cutter. Place
rounds with sides touching in a 12" cast-iron skillet or on a
parchment paper-lined baking sheet. (If using a 12" skillet, place
remaining biscuits in a 10" skillet or on a baking sheet.) Brush
biscuits with 3 tablespoons of the melted butter.

Bake in preheated oven until golden, 15 to 20 minutes. Brush with
remaining 3 tablespoons melted butter, and serve.

Review: I've been making Angel Biscuits since 1975. My family loves
them. They are lighter than most biscuits and have a faint yeasty
flavor. My recipe is almost exactly like this one.

Review: I'm not sure my first review went through, so I'm trying
again. Sorry if I end up with two submittals. I found this recipe in
my Southern Living magazine and tried them at Christmas. Everyone
LOVED them, including picky me. They were such a hit that each year I
continue to bake them using a cast iron skillet, and each year, they
disappear quickly!

Review: Terrible recipe! I made a mistake and made this the first
time for Thanksgiving as my rule is that I always try a recipe first
before I serve it. They were a disaster and I followed the recipe to
the letter, no deviation. The taste was bland and they were not
remotely similar to Parker House rolls - these were all biscuit. Try
another roll recipe and always make it first before trying it on guests.

S(Internet address):
   https://www.southernliving.com/recipes/angel-biscuits-recipe

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 119 Calories; 7g Fat (49.3%
calories from fat); 2g Protein; 13g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary
Fiber; 11mg Cholesterol; 193mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch);
0 Lean Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2020 - 1220