Oma's Marzipan Stollen

Sun, 12 Feb 2023 19:43:03 -0800
v123.n003.15
* Exported from MasterCook *

                       Bread, Oma's Marzipan Stollen

Recipe By     :Abigail Leszczynski
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Ethnic                          Nuts
                 Posted

   3               cups  all-purpose flour -- (to 3 1/2C)
      1/3           cup  sugar
   2 1/4            tsp  active dry yeast -- (1/4 oz)
   1 1/4           cups  2% milk
   6        tablespoons  butter -- cubed
   2          teaspoons  grated lemon zest
                         FILLING:
   12 1/2            oz  almond cake and pastry filling
   1                cup  finely ground almonds
   1         tablespoon  2% milk
   1           teaspoon  rum extract
                         GLAZE:
      1/4           cup  confectioners' sugar
      1/2      teaspoon  2% milk -- (to 1 tsp)

My German grandma followed this stollen recipe and made it for us
when we were young. I love this dessert. It tastes great, and it
reminds me of her and the German food she made. I often freeze this
sweet bread once it's shaped into a braid. Then I can pull it out the
night before, let it rise on the counter overnight, and bake it in the morning.

Prep: 30 min. + rising
Bake: 30 min.
Makes: 1 loaf (16 slices)

In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, sugar and yeast. In a small
saucepan, heat milk and butter to 120-130F. Add to dry ingredients;
beat just until moistened. Add lemon zest; beat until smooth. Stir in
enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).

Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6 to 8
minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top.
Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.

For filling, in a large bowl, beat almond pastry filling, almonds,
milk and extract. Punch dough down; turn onto a floured surface.
Divide into thirds. Roll each portion into a 15x6" rectangle. Spread
each portion with a third of the filling to within 1/4" of edges.
Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long slide; pinch seam to
seal. Place ropes on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Using a sharp
knife, make a 1/2" deep cut lengthwise down the center of each rope,
stopping 1/2" from ends. Keeping cut surfaces facing up, braid ropes.
Pinch ends to seal; tuck under.

Cover with a kitchen towel; let rise in a warm place until almost
doubled, about 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 375F. Bake until golden
brown, 30 to 35 minutes. Remove to a wire rack to cool. Combine glaze
ingredients to desired consistency; drizzle over warm stollen.

Cal 270, Fat 10g, Carb 41g, Sod 73mg, Fiber 2g, Pro 5g

Source:
   "Originally published as Oma's Marzipan Stollen in Taste of Home
October/November 2019"
S(Internet address):
   https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/oma-s-marzipan-stollen/

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 305 Calories; 16g Fat (45.3%
calories from fat); 7g Protein; 36g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber;
13mg Cholesterol; 58mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean
Meat; 0 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 3 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2019 - 1004