Coffee-Flavored Belgian Waffles

Fri, 17 Feb 2023 21:15:02 -0800
v123.n004.3
* Exported from MasterCook *

                      Waffles, Coffee-Flavored Belgian

Recipe By     :BON APPETIT
Serving Size  : 4     Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Food Processor                  Pancakes/Waffles
                 Posted

   1 1/2           cups  all-purpose flour
      1/4           cup  granulated sugar
      1/4           cup  light brown sugar -- packed
   2          teaspoons  baking powder
      1/2      teaspoon  kosher salt
      1/4      teaspoon  baking soda
   2              large  eggs -- room temperature, beaten to blend
   2        tablespoons  whole milk ricotta cheese -- room temperature
   1 1/4           cups  buttermilk
   2        tablespoons  instant espresso powder -- plus more for serving
   5        tablespoons  unsalted butter -- melted, plus more for brushing
                         Pure maple syrup and whipped cream -- for serving

If you don't have a Belgian waffle iron, use a regular one, but you
probably won't need as much batter.

Whisk flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, and
baking soda in a medium bowl to combine. Whisk eggs and ricotta in a
large bowl just to incorporate, then add buttermilk and 2 Tbsp.
espresso powder; whisk until smooth. Whisk in 5 Tbsp. melted butter,
then fold in dry ingredients with a rubber spatula, being careful not
to overmix (some lumps are okay). Let batter sit uncovered at room
temperature 30 minutes to allow the flour to hydrate.

Preheat oven to 200F. Set a wire rack inside a rimmed baking sheet
and place in oven. Heat waffle iron and brush with butter. Pour 1 cup
batter onto iron and cook until waffle is golden brown and cooked
through, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to wire rack in oven. Repeat with
remaining batter, brushing iron with more butter as needed. (Waffles
will be limp at first but will crisp up as they sit.)

Serve waffles topped with whipped cream, drizzled with maple syrup,
and sprinkled with more espresso powder.

Cal 535, Fat 22g, Carb 73g, Sod 551mg, Fiber 1g, Pro 13g

Review: These were incredible! I actually ended up making my first
batch for a chicken and waffles dish, omitting the espresso powder,
and they were perfect. I'm looking forward to including the coffee in
my next batch.

Review: Excellent! I made as written. I was surprised at the amount
of espresso powder (2 TBSP), but that much is needed. I have a Waring
Pro Double waffle maker and I got 4 1/2 waffles.

Review: Delicious! Halved the granulated sugar, decreased the butter
to 4 Tbsp, added cinnamon to the whipped cream, and topped with
toasted pecans. Could have increased the instant espresso powder for
more coffee flavor.

S(Internet address):
   https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/coffee-flavored-belgian-waffles

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 469 Calories; 19g Fat (36.4%
calories from fat); 12g Protein; 63g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
151mg Cholesterol; 687mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 2 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1/2
Lean Meat; 1/2 Non-Fat Milk; 3 1/2 Fat; 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2020 - 0508