Homemade Tortillas

Fri, 17 Feb 2023 21:17:06 -0800
v123.n004.4
* Exported from MasterCook *

                            Tortillas, Homemade

Recipe By     :Kristin Van Dyken
Serving Size  : 8     Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Bread-Bakers Mailing List       Ethnic
                 Low Fat                         Posted

   2               cups  all-purpose flour
      1/2      teaspoon  salt
      3/4           cup  water
   3        tablespoons  olive oil

I usually have to double this flour tortilla recipe because we go
through them so quickly. The homemade tortillas are so tender and
chewy, you'll never use store-bought again after learning how to make
tortillas.

Prep/Total Time: 30 min.
Serving Size: 1 tortilla

In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Stir in water and oil. Turn
onto a floured surface; knead 10-12 times, adding a little flour or
water if needed to achieve a smooth dough. Let rest for 10 minutes.

Divide dough into eight portions. On a lightly floured surface, roll
each portion into a 7" circle.

In a large skillet coated with cooking spray, cook tortillas over
medium heat for 1 minute on each side or until lightly browned. Keep warm.

Test Kitchen Tips: Other fats work in place of olive oil.
Traditionalists use lard, but shortening or coconut oil can be used
as well. Just cut it into the flour before kneading.

Relax springy, hard-to-roll dough by resting it a few more minutes.

The key to making tender tortillas: Keep a keen eye on them and
adjust cooking time or temp as needed. If they're too crisp, reduce
heat a notch, or stop cooking a few seconds earlier.

For homemade chips, cut tortillas into wedges and bake at 350F until
crisp. Add a touch of oil and seasonings of your choice: We love sea
salt and chili powder.

Review: I know and love home made tortillas very well. I gave this 3
stars because you can't get the real deal with olive oil. I swapped
it out for melted lard and then they definitely are rated 5 stars. Oh
and triple the batch, they go quick.

Review: This recipe is a good staple recipe! My first time and they
came out perfectly. Follow the note that says add more water or flour
as needed, but for the most part the recipe is exact. Thank you!

Review:

Source:
   "Originally published as Homemade Tortillas in Taste of Home June/July 2010"
S(Internet address):
   https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/homemade-tortillas/

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 159 Calories; 5g Fat (30.8%
calories from fat); 3g Protein; 24g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
0mg Cholesterol; 135mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1 Fat.

NOTES : 2019 - 0220