low fat recipes

Jane Marcus <janem@hpfcls.fc.hp.com>
Wed, 31 Jul 1991 09:04:00 GMT
v002.n015.4
While I don't identify myself as a health food nut, I am interested in

decreasing the amount of fat in the things I eat.  Since I eat a lot of
bread, I've been experimenting with recipes that have low fat content
(no fat is best, but otherwise less than 1 Tablespoon).  I'm building a
collection of these and would be interested in any others that you might
know of.

I've haven't got time now to submit all of the recipes I use, maybe if
anybody is interested, I'll submit more later.  They're ones I sort of
made up from looking at other recipes and from what I remember about how my
mother used to make bread (she did it the hard way though :-).  I
don't notice the "missing" fat.  I also have gotten into the habit of
using fruit concentrate instead of sugar or honey.  I think fruit
concentrate is pretty good stuff; I get it at my local food co-op, and
it is made from pineapple and pear concentrates.  It has roughly the same
consistency as honey and it is lower in calories (and I would guess is
better for you, although I have no scientific data on this).  The fruit
concentrate is slightly less sweet than honey I think, so if you want to
substitute honey for fruit concentrate in the recipes, you may get a
slightly sweeter bread.

Austrian bread
- --------------
(not necessarily authentic, but inspired by the memories of great bread
 that I used to eat every day when I lived in Austria.)

2 1/2 t yeast
1 1/3 cup bread flour
2/3 cup rye flour
1/3 cup wheat germ
2 T gluten
1 t salt
1/4 t ground allspice
1/4 t rosemary
1/2 T oil
3 T fruit concentrate (may be able to substitute honey)
1 cup water (plus 1 T if at high altitude)

use white bread setting, light

Banana oat bran bread
- ---------------------

2 1/2 t yeast
1 1/2 cup bread flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup oat bran
2 T gluten
1/2 t poppy seed (optional)
1/2 t nutmeg (optional)
1 t salt
1 1/2 T molasses
2 T fruit concentrate (may be able to substitute honey)
1 cup ripe bananas (about 2 medium bananas)
1/2 cup water (plus 1 T if at high altitude)

use white bread setting, light

Jane Marcus
janem@hpfcls.fc.hp.com