Bread Improver

Joel.Ehrlich@salata.com (Joel Ehrlich)
24 Sep 95 12:18:06 -0700
v006.n039.9
 Responding to: flaberge@magi.com (F. J. Laberge)
 FJL> I have a question : what is bread improver and what is its
 FJL> chemical name, where can it be purchased?

 FJL> If I understand correctly, it is supposed to make the bread softer
 FJL> and with finer texture.

Bread imrpover typically consists of diastatic malt and ascorbic acid.
Both enhance the action of the yeast. The malt is a sugar, yeast needs
sugar to grow and produce the carbon dioxide which makes the bread rise.

Yeast lives best in a slightly acetic environment. A small amount of
ascorbic acid changes the envirnment just enough to make the yeast
happy. That causes it to produce more carbon dioxide more reliably.

Joel