store bought mixes rising

als@ultranet.com (Allan Sherman)
Sun, 24 Dec 1995 00:28:20 -0500 (EST)
v006.n055.14

>Gina Rodriguez <grodrigu@nmsu.edu> asked in V 6 No 53:

>I was told that store bought mixes have never risen well.  I am going to try
>all of the above and see if I start getting larger loaves!  Does anyone know
>if it is true about the store bought mixes?
>
>Gina

We bought the "Classic Hearth International Bread Mix Collection" at Costco.
All four 1-1/2 lb loaves rose perfectly in our Hitachi.  The loaves are:

Mediterranean:  Olive and Garlic
Provincal: Sun-Dried Tomato & Basil
Southwestern: Jalapeno Cheese
Hawaiian:  Island Sweet Bread

We enjoyed all four.  The mix is made by Continental Mills in Seattle.

More than a year ago we bought the "Krusteaz Gold Label Specialty Bread &
Roll Mix Variety Pack" by the same manufacturer.  The breads in this kit
are more "conventional":  Sour Dough, Honey Wheat Berry, Garden Herb,
Harvest Wheat, Home Style, and Cracked Wheat. These mixes made much smaller
loaves, as if intended for a 1-lb machine (the size was not specified).
Many did not rise very well.  We bought a second carton of the Krusteaz
breads about a year ago, but three of the bags are still unused.  I guess we
are not very enthusiastic about that one, but we definately plan on a repeat
purchase of International Collection the next time we see it at Costco....

  -Al Sherman