Re: VITAL WHEAT GLUTEN

bbriscoe@infolink.morris.mn.us (Bonnie Briscoe)
Fri, 29 Dec 1995 00:14:47 -0600
v006.n055.15
Larry Ziegler asked,
If you use Vital Wheat Glouten(sp?) in regular unbleached flour, do you need
to use "Bread" Flour?

In my experience, no.  Adding a small amount of vital wheat gluten (called
gluten flour by our food co-op supplier, but labeled "Wheat Gluten" on the
carton) adds enough gluten to the unbleached flour that you do not also
need to use bread flour.

In fact, when I ran out of bread flour one time, I used just the plain
unbleached flour (it's labeled "for bread" in the co-op supplier's catalog)
in a recipe that uses no dark flour, and got the same result as I had
obtained with bread flour in that recipe.

When I use rye or whole wheat flours, or rolled oats or cornmeal, in my
bread machine, I always add 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons of gluten flour to help
the bread rise.  This is for a 1 1/2 pound loaf.  If you use too much
gluten flour, however, the bread can be tough and rubbery.

Bonnie Briscoe

Bonnie Briscoe                         e-mail:bbriscoe@infolink.morris.mn.us
Briscoe & Associates
500 East Third St.                                voice phone: (612)589-1258
Morris  MN  56267                                 fax/modem:   (612)589-1754
         Language is all that separates us from the lower animals--
                         and from the bureaucrats.