Asiago Cheese Bread

bbriscoe@infolink.morris.mn.us (Bonnie Briscoe)
Wed, 21 Feb 1996 23:47:12 -0600
v006.n076.1
Asiago Cheese Bread
        8       ounces water
        1       large egg
        1 1/4   teaspoons salt
        1       tablespoon sugar
        3       ounces finely shredded Asiago cheese (1 cup lightly packed)
        1       ounce shredded Romano or Parmesan (generous 1/3 cup)
        1/2     cup yellow cornmeal
        2 3/4   cups bread flour or unbleached flour
        2       teaspoons active dry yeast

Place all ingredients in pan of bread machine in order listed, or in the
order recommended for your machine. Set controls for Basic bread with
medium crust and start machine. Makes one 1 1/2-pound loaf.

I created this bread in response to a recent request on this list, and also
because I wanted to make a cheese bread using some of the excellent Asiago
cheese that we sell at our food co-op.  This bread has an *absolutely
wonderful* aroma while it's baking.  I've made it twice and it has already
become my husband's new all-time favorite bread.  It's definitely worth the
extra effort to use freshly grated cheeses.  The cornmeal adds some body
and helps make a crisper crust, but if you can't eat corn, leave it out and
add more flour (start with 1/4 cup flour and add more if needed).

Enjoy!
Bonnie Briscoe

          Bonnie Briscoe - bbriscoe@infolink.morris.mn.us
          Freelance writing, editing, desktop publishing
    Language is all that separates us from the lower animals--
                     and from the bureaucrats.