Re: vegan bread (no eggs, no dairy)

"Alison Hendon" <ahendon@dorsai.org>
Wed, 21 Feb 1996 20:17:49 -0500
v006.n076.2
To the requestor for vegan bread recipes:  I too make non-dairy, no
egg breads because of my partner's allergies.  In fact, using the
bread machine (I have tendinitis) means that I'm sure about all the
ingredients.

I use Ener-G powdered egg replacer, reconstituted, and powdered soy
milk.  Sometimes I use liquid soy milk but I don't have it on hand
all the time. I use Fleischmann's unsalted margarine because it's
lactose free.  You have to watch out for that whey!!

My favorite recipe is from Bread Machine Magic by Linda Rehberg &
Lois Conway.  Adapted for vegans (and allergic people), it reads like
this:

Linda's Easy Potato Bread (1 1/2 lb. loaf)

3 c. bread flour
1/4 c. instant potato flakes
1 1/2 t. salt
1 1/2 T. sugar
3 heaping T. powdered soy milk
1 1/2 t. margarine
2 t. yeast
3/4 c. water plus 3/8 cup water (1 c. plus 2 T. water) plus more
water for Welbilt/Dak (3 T?)

Bake on light crust.

I hope it was ok to post this.  In general I just substitute the soy
milk powder for milk.  I've also made the Basic Sweet Roll dough
very successfully (great Jim's Cinnamon Rolls!).

Linda & Lois's other book (whose name I don't have quite right), it's
something like Bread Machine Magic Hints and was just reissued with
even more hints, talks about substitutions for allergies, special
diets, etc.

Alison Hendon
Alison Hendon
ahendon@amanda.dorsai.org