Yeast-free bread recipe

phyllis.johnpoll@ncsl.org (Phyllis Johnpoll)
Sun, 28 Apr 1996 22:49:57 GMT
v096.n009.11
Someone asked for a good yeast-free bread. I hope you can have sugar for
this one. It's got lots of sugar but it is really, really good.I even
served it with spaghetti once. I wouldn't advise adding savory herbs and
cheese, though!

COLONIAL BROWN BREAD
Makes 2 loaves
(from Pillsbury's BREADS, BREADS, and more BREADS, 1983)
(In the original, the recipe called for a specific brand name of flour.
I don't think this needs to be specified here.)

2 3/4 C white flour
2 1/2 C whole wheat flour
2 C firmly packed brown sugar
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
4 C buttermilk (or sour milk)

Preheat oven to 350F. Grease two 9X5 loaf pans. In large bowl, combine
dry ingredients, mixing until thoroughly combined. (Lumps of brown sugar
will case dark spots in bread.) Slowly add buttermilk, stirring until
well blended. Pour into prepared pans. Bake at 350F for 50 to 60 minutes
or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Remove from
pans immediately; cool on wire racks. Serve warm or cool.

I must warn you that every time I've made this, one of the loaves has
come out with a creative hump in the middle. Some of them have been
quite humourous. (The one that my friend thought was a tribute to my
husband, however, was a little embarassing at a potluck!)

*BB*

ptj
Wonderful tales had our fathers of old--
    Wonderful tales of the herbs and the stars--
The Sun was the Lord of the Marigold,
    Basil and Rocket belonged to Mars.
Pat as a sum in division it goes--
    (Every plant had a star bespoke)--
Who but Venus should govern the Rose?
    Who but Jupiter own the Oak?
         Simply and gravely the facts are told
         In the wonderful books of our fathers of old.
                   --Rudyard Kipling, "Our Fathers of Old"