Quick & Easy Beer Bread

Allison Kinkead <sasank@unx.sas.com>
Tue, 20 Aug 1996 09:54:46 -0400
v096.n034.8
Beer Bread (by Rozanne Gold)
----------------------------
6 tablespoons sugar
12 oz. beer, at room temperature
3 cups self-rising flour

Heat oven to 350F.  In medium-size enamel pot over medium heat,
cook sugar until caramelized and light-brown in colour; remove
from heat.  Slowly pour in beer; liquid will foam and bubble.
Mix well with wooden spoon until all sugar is dissolved.  In
large bowl, combine flour and 1 teaspoon salt (if desired);
slowly pour in liquid.  Mix until ingredients are incorporated
and dough is smooth.  Place dough in 9-inch nonstick loaf pan.
Bake until toothpick inserted into bread comes out clean, about
1 hour.  Remove bread from oven and let cool on rack.  Makes one
loaf; 16 slices.

Per slice: 110 calories, 2g protein, 0g fat, 23g carbohydrate,
           299mg sodium, 0mg cholesterol

Notes:  In order to dissolve the sugar I had to keep the beer &
        sugar mixture over medium heat while stirring.  Let me
        know if you run into the same problem.  This bread was
        very flavorful.  Gold recommends that people experiment
        with various types of beer, stout and ale.

        BTW, this recipe by Rozanne Gold was printed in the
        September 1996 issue of Essence magazine.