Re: question for everyone

sue@interport.net (Curly Sue)
Sun, 6 Jul 1997 19:59:19 -0400 (EDT)
v097.n046.5
>I am curious... no matter what method you use to make bread, what is your
>favorite bread to make and what method do you use to make it??
>
>Thanks,
>Reggie

That's easy- Welsh Bread is my favorite... and I make it with a machine.

WELSH BREAD
(From  The Best Bread machine Cookbook Ever:  Ethnic Breads, M. Rosenberg,
HarperCollins Books, 1994)
***********************************

Ingredient              small loaf    large loaf     TM*

distilled white vinegar   1 tsp         1.5 tsp     1 tsp
milk                      2/3 c         1 c         2/3 c
brown sugar               2 T           3 T         3 T
whole egg                   1             1          1
egg white                   0             1          0
unsalted butter            4 T           6 T        6 T
salt                      1/2 tsp       3/4 tsp     3/4 tsp
molasses                   2 T           3 T         3 T
bread flour                2 c           3 c         3 c
baking soda               pinch         1/8 tsp     1/8 tsp
caraway seeds              1 tsp        1.5 tsp     1.5 tsp
active dry yeast          1.5 tsp       2-1/4 tsp    2-1/4 tsp
raisins                        3/4 c          1 c         1 c

1.  Stir the vinegar into the milk.  Let stand about 30 min, until the
mixture thickens.
2.  Add ingredients (except raisins) but including the vinegar and milk, in
the order suggested by your bread machine manual and process on the bread
cycle according to the manufacturer's directions.
3.  At the beeper (or at the end of the first kneading in the Panasonic,
Sanyo, and National, or after 40 min from "start" for Toastmaster) add the
raisins.

=== Notes ===
*TM indicates amounts I used for the Toastmaster, which typically takes less
liquids than other machines.

This bread rises more slowly than other breads in the machine so I use the
"sweet bread cycle."

(sorry about the formatting of the ingredients table!).

Sue(tm)