Il Fornaio's Chocolate Bread

"Jacquelin Siegel (jsiegel@library.ca.gov)" <jsiegel@library.ca.gov>
Mon, 6 Oct 1997 19:38:47 -0700 (PDT)
v097.n060.18
This recipe appeared in the Los Angeles Times food section many years
ago.  It does not appear in the Il Fornaio bread book, a shame, since it
makes a rich chocolate bread that is not too sweet.  The recipe is for
hand made, but I used 1/3 recipe in my dad's DAK bread machine.  My West
Bend does not have the capacity and I'm too lazy to make it by hand, so
I haven't been able to enjoy it in awhile.

        Il Fornaio's Chocolate Bread

3 packages dry yeast           14 ounces semisweet chocolate pieces
4 1/2 cups warm water          2 tablespoons salt
1/3 cup plus 1 teaspoon sugar  1 egg
12 cups flour (about)          2 tablespoons melted shortening
1 cup Dutch process cocoa

Combine yeast with 1/2 cup warm water and 1 teaspoon sugar.  Set aside
and let proof.  In bowl of large electric mixer, combine flour, cocoa,
salt, chocolate pieces and remaining 1/3 cup sugar.  Add yeast mixture, 4
cups warm water, egg and shortening.

Mix and knead 10 minutes, adding more flour if needed, to obtain medium
firm, elastic ball of dough.  Place dough in greased bowl, turn to grease
all over, cover with plastic wrap and set in warm spot until double in size.

Punch dough down and divide into 12 pieces.  Shape into rounds and place
about 3 inches apart on greased baking sheets.  Cover with clean towel,
place in warm spot, and let rise until doubled.  Bake at 450 degrees for
15 minutes, reduce heat to 375 degrees and bake 20 to 25 minutes longer
or until crusty and done.  Makes 12 small loaves.

Jacquelin Siegel
California State Library              phone:   (916) 653-8048
California Research Bureau            fax:     (916) 654-5829
P.O. Box 942837                       Internet:   jsiegel@library.ca.gov
Sacramento, CA 94237-0001