Triple Chocolate Bread for Machines

mpowers@tiac.net (m.p.)
Wed, 15 Oct 1997 13:44:35 -0400 (EDT)
v097.n063.1
Ok, in the More Bread Machine Bounty Book from Better Homes
and Gardens, they call it "Double Chocolate" but if you use
chocolate extract instead of vanilla, you can call it "Triple!"
Anyway, I've made this for many people and it's definitely
best when it's fresh - it might make nice French toast for
kids but I never tried that.  I can't stand the thought of
eating bread that's more than 2 or (eeeeewww...) 3 days old -
I just toss it out to the birds.  Someone said if you amortize
the cost of the breadmachine over 20 years, a loaf of bread
only costs about 23 cents...so I can't see adding chemicals
to it to try to make it last longer.  Might as well just eat
the stuff from the store that's been treated to outlast
King Tut's mummy...                   m.p.

          Double/Triple Chocolate Bread for Machines

1 pound        Ingredients              1 1/2 pounds

2/3 cup      Milk                        1 cup

1 tsp.       Vanilla or Choc. extract    1 1/2 tsp.

1            Egg                         1

1 Tbls.      margarine or butter         1 Tbls.

2 cups       Bread flour                 3 cups

2 Tbls.      brown sugar                 3 Tbls.

1 Tbls.      unsweetened cocoa           4 tsps.

1/2 tsp.     salt                        3/4 tsp.

1 tsp.       active dry yeast            1 1/2 tsp

1/2 cup      semisweet chocolate pieces  2/3 cup
             (mini pieces are ok)

I've learned to put in less of the main liquid (milk in
this case) whenever there are other liquids involved
(eggs, honey, extracts, etc.) - you can always add more liquid
but it's damn hard to take it back out.

For "Mexican" Chocolate bread: add 1/4 tsp. cinnamon for
the 1 pound loaf, 1/2 tsp. for 1 1/2 pound loaf.