Question Re: Scandinavian Muffin Rolls

Ilene Warfield <ilenewar@starnetinc.com>
Sat, 18 Oct 1997 23:26:22 -0400
v097.n063.2
Hi Everybody,

I have a question re: the Scandinavian Rye Rolls recipe from the book
_Bread Machine Magic_.  I seem to remember that one or both of the authors
were on this list?  If you are still there, of course you would be the
best one to answer the questionÉ

This week I made a Scandinavian yellow split pea soup.  I often accompany
this with a limpa rye, and thought this recipe would make a good
substitute.  While putting the ingredients into the bread pan, I wondered
about the high ratio of liquid to flour.  During the knead cycle, the
dough seemed rather soupy - more like a batter.  I added about 1 1/2 cups
of bread flour.  This seemed to improve the dough.  The resulting rolls
were *VERY* tasty, but came out flat.  I'm wondering what went wrong.  I
guess I shouldn't have added the extra flour, but I can't imagine that the
dough as it was originally would have even held up to forming into rolls.
I am wondering if any one else has had experience with this recipe.  Is
there a type or anything with the recipe as printed; or will this really
work with the liquid:flour ratio as it appears here?  We really like this
type of flavor, especially with the yellow split pea soup, and if there
was any way I could figure out how to get this recipe to come out right I
would make it all the time.

Looking forward to whatever wisdom comes my way.  Take care, everybodyÉ

Ilene
Evanston  IL

                   *  Exported from  MasterCook Mac  *

                          Scandinavian Rye Rolls

Recipe By     :
Serving Size  : 18   Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    :
     1/2  cup           1% low-fat milk
     1/2  cup           water
   1      cup           rye flour
     1/2  teaspoon      salt
   1      tablespoon    butter or margarine
   1      tablespoon    molasses
   1                    orange -- grated rind only
   1      teaspoon      fennel seed
   1 1/2  teaspoons     active dry yeast -- up to 2 teaspoons

Place all ingredients in the bread pan in the order recommended by the manufacturer.  Select dough setting and press start.

At the end of the cycle, turn the dough out onto a floured surface.  Gently roll and stretch the dough into a 24" rope.

Grease a 9" x 13" x 2" square baking pan. Divide dough into 18 equal pieces with a sharp knife. Shape into balls and place in the pan.  Cover and let rise in a warm oven for 30 - 45 minutes.  At the end of the rising time, remove pan from oven to preheat to 350F.  Bake the rolls for 20 - 25 minutes or until golden.  Serve warm.

For a smaller batch:
   3/8 cup milk
   3/8 cup water
   2/3 cup rye flour
   1/2 teaspoon salt
   1 tablespoon butter or margarine
   2 teasoons molasses
   grated rind of 1/2 orange
   1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
   1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast

Divide the dough into 12 pieces and use a 9" square baking pan.  Proceed as above.

Source:  _Bread Machine Magic_ by Linda Rehberg & Lois Conway.

Per serving: 35 Calories; 1g Fat (21% calories from fat); 1g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 2mg Cholesterol; 70mg Sodium

NOTES : Like limpa rye, a combination of rye and orange with a light anise scent from the fennel.  Especially suitable as an accompaniment to a yellow split pea soup.