Bagel cooking

rbursey@pine.alberni.net (Robert Bursey)
Sun, 26 Oct 97 07:15:30 PST
v097.n066.8
I have a baking stone that I like to use for cooking bagels. I try using a pot
of boiling water underneath to get them crunchier on the outside, with limited
success. What I would like to approximate is whatever they do to make Manhatten
Bagels. They are chewy and crunchy, and I can't get the texture they do. This
is the only example I can think of where a store-bought item is better than I
can make at home. Should I cook for longer at lower temperature, shorter and
hotter, should I broil at the end to brown the tops? Lots of questions and I'd
appreciate any and all answers. Thanks.

++++
 Robert Bursey
 rbursey@pine.alberni.net