More yeast trials

rprovanc@gmu.edu
Tue, 27 Jan 1998 10:01:42 -0800
v098.n010.9
Hello, bakers!

My unscientific yeast trials continue!

This week, I tested SAF Perfect Rise yeast against Fleishman's Rapid
Rise.  I used my "Ruth's Daily Bread" recipe again, at
http://www.upword.com/bread/daily.html

I made two batches of this bread, as identically as I could, with the
only difference being the two types of yeast.  I mixed one packet of
yeast with the dry ingredients, using first the SAF, and second, the
Fleishman's.  I did not wash out the bowl and beaters between batches,
so I guess the Fleishman's batch was slightly "contaminated" with the
SAF.

During the first rise, it was hard to tell for sure which dough rose
fastest, as the doughs were in bowls of different sizes and shapes, but
I believe the Fleishman's lived up to its name, and rose higher in a
slightly shorter time.

In the loaf pans, the difference in rising was not apparent until after
I put the bread in the oven and turned it on. (I usually start with a
cold oven.)  The Fleishman's loaves did rise higher than the SAF loaves,
though all four loaves were lovely and yummy.

I suppose if Fleishman's Rapid Rise and SAF Perfect rise were both
easily available to me in bulk, by the pound, that is, not in the 4 oz
jars, I would pick the Fleishman's.  As it is, I can get Red Star Active
Dry yeast in loose bulk for about $3 per pound, so that is what I use
(see the last report on the comparison between Red Star and SAF).

Next time:  Red Star vs. Fleishman's!

Keep Baking!

Ruth Provance