Low-fat Powdered Buttermilk

Takt EZ <TaktEZ@aol.com>
Sun, 5 Apr 1998 21:45:26 EDT
v098.n030.14
>Hi everybody,

>Some recipes I've seen call for buttermilk.  I've been looking for the
>powdered variety.  Anyone know if this works in recipes calling for
>buttermilk?  If so, anybody have a clue as to where to find it.  I live in
>Colorado.  Have checked the major supermarket chains here but to no avail.

>Thanks bunches in advances.

>Vicki

Hi Vicki

Yes, the powdered buttermilk does work, and very well I might add.  Not quite
as good as the real stuff, but real close.

The only thing to remember is don't add in the powdered buttermilk directly
with your dry ingredients it wont combine properly.  Reconstitute it first by
adding it to the warm water called for in your recipe and stir it until the
powder is thoroughly dissolved, then let it stand for a few minutes before
using.  Most powdered buttermilk calls for 1/4 cup of powder per cup of water.

I'm surprised you can't find it in your local supermarket.  I purchase it in
the same department as the powdered milk and our markets always carry an ample
supply.  Ask your store manager. Maybe they've got it hid away somewhere.

Powdered buttermilk is also available through King Arthur's "Baker's
Catalogue."  I strongly recommend getting on their mailing list if you are not
already.  The catalog is really neat and it doesn't cost a penny.  Also, their
flour is tops.  I switched to it over two years ago and now I wont use
anything else.  King Arthur's flour is also available in most of the major
supermarkets.  To get on their list................

Mail to:
The Baker's Catalogue
P.O. Box 876
Norwich, Vermont 05055-0876