Hand made bread basic formula

"Jo in Minnesota" <josiem@tekstar.com>
Mon, 27 Apr 1998 18:28:28 -0500
v098.n036.15
For Cindy and those who are interested in making bread by
hand, rather than ABM, here is a formula I have had for at
least 30 years that is very useful.  I think it originated
with Minnesota's Super Cook Bea Ojakangas but I am not
positive!

Formula for Basic Bread

1 loaf batch

1 pkg. yeast
1/4c water (110-115 degrees)

1 cup water
1 Tablespoon shortening
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt

2 1/2 to 3 cups flour

2 loaf batch-
1 pkg. yeast
1/4 c. water

2 cups water

2 Tablespoons shortening
2  Tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons salt

51/2 to 6 cups flour

The water can be:  milk, soup, tomato juice, potato water,
sour cream, buttermilk, eggs, or???

The shortening can be butter, oil, bacon drippings,
mayonnaise, oleomargarine, or ??

The sugar can be: white sugar, brown sugar, honey,
molasses, maple syrup, leftover frostings, dark or lite
corn syrup, or??

The flour can be: all white, whole wheat, light, medium or
dark rye, pumpernickel rye,
corn meal, rolled oats or oat flour, millet meal, sunflower
seed meal, graham flour, all bran, wheat germ, buckwheat.
Just don't put more than three types of flour in one loaf
or you lose the identity of whatever else you add.

Additional flavorings: Cardamom, caraway, fennel,
anise,cinnamon, nutmeg, orange peel, lemon peel, nuts of
all kinds, dried fruits of all kinds, just so it doesn't
create an
undesirable color or effect.

For a four loaf size, you just double the two loaf batch
recipe.  Use what you have on hand, just follow basic bread
directions, relax and have some fun inventing your own
personal loaf.

Jo in Minnesota