IACP conference

Sun, 03 May 1998 11:05:54 -0700
v098.n036.16
Jeff and I attended our first IACP (International Association of Culinary
Professionals) on 4/21.  I wanted to let everyone know some of the
highlights of the visit that were bread related.

Tour of Bob's Red Mill - Absolutely incredible.  If you are ever in
Portland, OR go and do this tour.  We went thru the mill with Bob as our
host and he explained all about the grinding wheels and showed us all the
steps involved in making the large variety of flours that they produce.  We
were able to take packages of anything that they produce.  Thankfully we
had driven our car because it would have cost us an arm and leg to
transport the flours/grains back to our house.

Tour of The Pearl Bakery - We had met Greg Mistell (executive Director of
the Bread Bakers Guild) when we attended the Bakers Guild meeting in Boston
a few years ago.  It was wonderful to get to tour his bakery this time.  He
was the coach, the year we met him, for the Coupe du Monde de la
Boulangerie (World Cup of Baking) competition in France.  The team consists
of a coach and 3 bakers who do various aspects of bread baking.  That year
was the first that the US participated in it.  They wanted to place in the
top 6 so that they would be invited back.  They placed 6th that year.  2
yrs ago the competition wasn't held.  It will be held again in 10 months
from now.  We got to meet the new team and captain (who are all from the SF
Bay Area I proudly mention!!).  They are hoping to place 1st in one of the
categories this time and it looks like they have a good shot of doing it.
The Pearl Bakery produces absolutely incredible tasting breads.  I don't
know if they give the tours to the general public but if you are in the
area you might find out if they do... it was fascinating!!

We were also very fortunate to be able to meet and talk with Peter
Reinhart, author of Brother Juniper's Bread Book.  It was wonderful to be
able to meet and talk with such interesting people who are so knowledgeable.

Reggie