Re: Digest bread-bakers.v099.n019

fred smith <fredex@fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>
Tue, 6 Apr 1999 06:17:49 -0400
v099.n020.2
Replies to two questions:

> From: MPCUMMINGS@aol.com
> Subject: Rye Bread
> Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 15:46:12 EST
>
> It appears that purified water performs better than tap water.  The dough
> seems to rise higher inthe ABM, so I tried making rye bread again, after
> having sworn off further attempts.  In the end, the top caved in, but thanks
> to the improved rise, I salvaged 12 slices.  I've tried dough enhancer, vital
> wheat gluten, lemon juice.  The recipe was 1 cup rye to 3 cups white.  Machine
> is West Bend 41042W.  Whatever the recipe, my rye bread either caves in, or
> winds up 4 inches tall.  The machine turns everything else out well.
> Any suggestions for improvement?

I don't use a machine, but whenever I have seen a loaf that rises and
then falls it is because:
1. it rose too long
2. it doesn't have enough gluten content.
usually #2.

You may wish to try reducing the rye content, or if you prefer not to
do that try finding a white with higher gluten content (King Arthur's
unbleached white comes to mind). In lieu of that, I've heard you can
get additives that raise the gluten content, though I've never needed
one myself.

------------------

> Hi to Joan and everybody:
>
> They will definitely cut the tiles to suit, for a little or nothing.
>
> Everyone always specifies "unglazed" tiles for baking purpose. Those are
> hard to find unless you strike a well-stocked place. So after asking a
> couple of tile people about it in the badly-stocked local places, I fell
> back on big ordinary-tile glazed ones from the odds and ends box. Only a
> quarter apiece, but you have to get the glue off the back yourself. I have
> been assured -- by store people who don't necessarily know what they're
> doing -- that there is nothing in the glaze to harm anybody.
>
> Has anyone any authoritative information about why "unglazed" is such a
> fabulous key word?

My guess is that some kinds of tile have (or have been reputed to have)
lead content in the glaze. Of course I have no way of knowing what kinds
of things may be in the tiles themeslves either.

Fred
--
---- Fred Smith -- fredex@fcshome.stoneham.ma.us ----------------------------
                     all ages, now and forevermore! Amen."