Re: Tile baking stones

Alan Jackson <ajackson@icct.net>
Tue, 06 Apr 1999 19:44:41 -0500
v099.n020.3
On Mon, 29 Mar 1999 20:09:57 -0500  "Larry Allis" wrote:
> Everyone always specifies "unglazed" tiles for baking purpose. Those are
> hard to find unless you strike a well-stocked place. So after asking a
> couple of tile people about it in the badly-stocked local places, I fell
> back on big ordinary-tile glazed ones from the odds and ends box. Only a
> quarter apiece, but you have to get the glue off the back yourself. I have
> been assured -- by store people who don't necessarily know what they're
> doing -- that there is nothing in the glaze to harm anybody.

I'm not a potter, but I recall that glazes *can* contain some nasties. I
recall that yellow or orange glaze can be a Uranium compound, is it
red that may use Strontium?, and others may be just as bad. I would
not listen to the store clerks, call the manufacturer. On the other hand,
don't get too worried - the glazing process should stabilize the elements
pretty well, after all the nuclear waste is being turned into a ceramic
before burial! And crystal wine glasses are made of a lead compound.

Seems like I got my stone mail order for $10-$15.

--
| Alan K. Jackson            | To see a World in a Grain of Sand      |
| ajackson@icct.net          | And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,         |