Re: King Arthur Baking Classes

Frank.Yuhasz@pentairpump.com
Tue, 9 Nov 1999 22:37:15 -0500
v099.n059.15
Hello! This is in response to Joan Fortmiller's query about the King Arthur
Baking Classes.
I realize that the class in her locale has already happened, but since
there are more classes to come, I figured I'd make my comments for the
benefit of other readers of this list.

A friend and I attended a sweet  dough class in Columbus, Ohio in October
1997, and would have gone to the one the subsequent year had we known of
the date before it happened!  The demonstration was quite informative and
entertaining, as well as inspiring.  Michael Jubinsky was the demonstrator,
and he was a good teacher. His passion for baking made you want to run home
and start kneading, and his demeanor was friendly and enthusiastic.

Even though I have been baking hand-made as well as "electric" bread for
many years, I did pick up some tips:
shaping round rolls by cupping your hand over the sphere of dough and
moving your hand in a gentle circular motion,
"shocking" recalcitrant dough by whacking it on the work surface, and
patting your hand into a pile of flour on the work surface to pick up a
small amount when kneading- - - so as not to work too much flour into the
dough.

Now there are two separate classes; one for sweet dough and another for
rustic/sourdough, which greatly expands the potential amount of material
covered.  My husband is going to take the day off this Friday, and we are
going to drive from Ashland to Toledo for the classes, and make a fun day
of it.

Any time spent with people so enthused about the art and science of baking
is time well spent!

For more information about King Arthur Baking Classes (free and open to the
public), their catalogue, or their flour, see their website at
www.kingarthurflour.com    and see what this Camelot is all about!

Happy Baking!
Carolyn Dandalides