Creme Fraiche

Lynn E Cragholm <lest2@juno.com>
Sat, 18 Mar 2000 12:33:11 -0900
v100.n029.10
Many thanks to those who submitted recipes for creme fraiche.  I have, in
the past, used the recipes calling for unequal amounts of sour cream and
heavy cream (whipping), and those calling for buttermilk, but the results
were not the creme fraiche I sought.  Then Toni Repasche sent me a recipe
(which she also submitted to the BB Newsletter at the same), calling for
equal amounts of sour cream (full fat kind) and heavy cream (whipping).
That combination produced perfect creme fraiche!  I wish to add this
caution, though, to others using the recipe.  Do NOT use an
ulta-pasteurized heavy whipping cream.  That does not work well at all.
A pasteurized heavy whipping cream is fine, but not the ulta-pasteurized
heavy cream.  You may have to do some hunting to find a heavy whipping
cream that is not ulta-pasteurized.  I called many stores, where I live
in Anchorage, Alaska, before I located Organic Valley Heavy Whipping
Cream distributed by CROPP Cooperative in La Farge, Wisconsin 54639.
Contact the company at www.organicvalley.com to inquire if this product
is available where you live.

Lynn Cragholm

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!