Re: Flaxseed Bread

rgcasey@ix.netcom.com
Sat, 22 Apr 2000 11:40:23 -0400 (EDT)
v100.n038.9
Kathleen (16 April, v100.n036.6) gave a positive report on her experience
making flaxseed bread.  I make this kind of bread regularly, using a
fairly similar recipe.  Initially I used about 1/2 cup of flaxseed for a
larger loaf than Kathleen's (4 cups of flour vs. 2 1/2 in her recipe).
However, I found that after a few weeks of eating this bread regularly I
was getting some stomach cramping, and I do not have a sensitive stomach.
I cut back to only 1/4 cup of flax seeds per loaf and the problem went
away.

One difference that might be important: Kathleen grinds the flaxseeds,
whereas I like the looks of the little brown seeds throughout the bread.
This might explain my reaction, but I have also read of flaxseed
causing cramps.  If people make this bread often, they
might want to be on guard.

Richard Casey