Questions about kitchen scales

"Scullery Maid" <scullerymaid@hotmail.com>
Thu, 16 Nov 2000 10:29:17 CST
v100.n073.16
I'm thinking of getting a new kitchen scale.  Right now I have an old scale
that I use mainly for pasta and potatoes, but I'd like to try baking by
weight, and I'll need something more accurate.   What are the advantages
and disadvantages of measuring dry and wet ingredients by weight?  Is it
really faster and more accurate?  Will I still have to measure small
amounts of salt and yeast by hand?  Are digital scales really more
accurate, or does the read-out just make them appear so?  It sounds as
though a tare feature would be a real help.  How accurate should the scale
be?  Some are accurate to .1 oz., and some to .05 oz.  Is that kind of
accuracy necessary?  I won't be weighing huge amounts -- usually make only
one loaf of bread at a time. Also, I want to be able to use my own bowls,
and I'd prefer that it not take up too much counter space.  I also need
both English and metric measurements, since my son sends me recipes in
metric from overseas.  My research so far has led me to the Salter
aquatronic (KA catalog) and the Swiss-built Soehnle, which is supposed to
be very accurate.  I know this an awful lot of questions, but I'd  really
appreciate any help and opinions.

Thanks!

Mary B.