French Cornmeal Bread

TheGuamTarheels@webtv.net (The Ol' Tarheel)
Thu, 16 Nov 2000 13:41:10 -0500 (EST)
v100.n073.17
Joni Repasch wanted to know how I fared with hand kneading this recipe that
Reggie posted in bread machine format. Here's how and what I did:

French Cornmeal Bread

3 1/2 cups bread flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons instant yeast
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/3 cups water

Mix all dry ingredients thoroughly and then stir in olive oil and water.
Turn out on a lightly floured surface and knead until the dough passes the
"stick-your-finger-in-it" test. Place in an oiled bowl, cover, and let rise
for 1-1/2 to 2 hours. Punch down and let rise for another hour. Preheat
oven to 450F with a baking stone. Punch down and shape into a boule. Let
rise for 30 minutes while oven is cranking up. Slash and spray top of dough
(I sprinkled some ground thyme on top). With a peel, slide onto stone,
spray oven with water, and turn heat down to 400F. Bake for 35 to 40
minutes or until the bread's interior temperature is 190F and crust is
golden brown. Cool on rack for at least 45 minutes before slicing. Note: I
find that this bread has somewhat of a cake-like consistency. I didn't care
for it too much as a dinner bread (dipped in olive oil), but it was great
this morning when I toasted it.
Bob the Tarheel Baker