Crazy about Challah

ehgf@primenet.com
Mon, 26 Mar 2001 07:57:32 +0800
v101.n018.18
 > I have always been intrigued by the beautiful braided surface
 > of Challah bread so I finally decided to make a loaf. Looking
 > through my books for a good recipe I discovered that some
 > recipes call for a small braid placed on top of the main
 > braided loaf. I believe this has some symbolism in the Jewish
 > faith and would appreciate someone educating me.

 > Thank you. Dick Carlton, Brookings, OR

Hi All,

I often make my challah as you described with a small braid on top of a
larger one. It produces a beautiful, regal looking loaf fit for a festive
occasion. I have some suggestions if you want to shape your challah in this
manner. Firstly, make sure that the top braid is quite a bit smaller by
using a third of the total dough or less. Also brush some of the egg wash
(that is always used to glaze the whole loaf prior to baking) on the area
where the smaller loaf will rest. This will help "glue" the two loaves
together. As the bread rises in the oven a too heavy smaller braid will
slip to one side producing a lopsided loaf and spoiling all your hard work.
Think of me as "one who has been there" ;-)

Claudia Roden in "The Book of Jewish Food" explains some of the symbolism
associated with challah:

"On festive occasions a blessing is said over two loaves, symbolizing the
two portions of manna (maybe the smaller loaf on top of a larger one
symbolizes the two loaves?) that was distributed on Fridays to the children
of Israel during their exodus from Egypt. The breads are covered on the
table by a white napkin, which represents the dew that collected on the
manna in the morning. Poppy and sesame seeds sprinkled on the bread also
symbolize the manna that fell from heaven.... Braided ones (challah), which
may have three, four or six strands,....look like arms intertwined
symbolize love. Three braids symbolize truth, peace and justice"

There are many, many customs and traditions associated with this special
bread. There are just as many shapes. The New Year's round shape symbolizes
continuity or long life. I like to attach one braid end to end or coil one
long strand into a spiral to avoid my challah looking like a boule. Spirals
and ladder shapes symbolize the ascent to heaven. Crowns symbolize the King
of the universe and Keys symbolize the gates of heaven. Bird shapes can
symbolize that sins should fly away or that one's prayers should soar to
heaven, take your pick.

Ellen aka Gormay