low carb bread

Thu, 29 Mar 2001 19:18:58 -0800
v101.n018.19
Here is a low carb bread that I have heard is wonderful.  I haven't made it
yet so if you make it could you let us know how it turned out??

                       *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                                 Gabi's Bread

Recipe By     :
Serving Size  : 16   Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Low Carb                         Bread Machine
                  Bread-Bakers Mailing List        Breads
                  Want To Try

     2      Pkg           Yeast
                          Rapid Rise Is Good
     1      Tsp           Sugar
     1      C             Warm Water
     3      Tbsp          Olive Oil
     2                    Eggs
     1 1/2  Tsp           Baking Powder
       1/2  Tsp           Salt
     1      Tbsp          Splenda
     1 1/3  C             Bobs Red Mill Vital Wheat Gluten Flour
       1/3  C             Soy Flour
       1/2  C             Oat Flour
       1/4  C             Flax Seed Meal
       1/4  C             Coarse Unprocessed Wheat Bran

Made sure ingredients were room temp. Put warm water, eggs, sugar and olive
oil in bottom of bread machine. Mixed dry ingredients except for yeast and
put in next. Then make a well in the dry ingredients and put the yeast in.
Shut the lid, set the bread maker for the shortest bake cycle (mine has a
58 minute express cycle so that's what I used) When the dough was kneaded
the first time (think it was about 12 minutes) I removed the dough, split
it in half and put one ball in a greased bread pan and let sit in my warmed
oven to rise for 45 minutes, then baked at 380F for 20 minutes. THIS TURNED
OUT GREAT.

I returned the other ball of dough to my bread machine, after removing the
paddle, and let the machine complete its cycle. Although this loaf was
quite tasty, it was much smaller than the one I let rise and baked in the
regular oven.

Gabi, this bread is soooooo good....I can't imagine not having this recipe!

Marilyn

Laurie's notes:

You should get 16 slices per loaf. As far as carb counts go, I'm not
completely sure because the original recipe had used slightly different
amounts: 1 c wheat gluten flour, 1/4 c oat flour, 3/4 c soy flour, 1/4 c
flax seed meal, and 1/4 cup coarse unprocessed wheat bran along with 1 pkg.
yeast, 1/2 tsp. sugar, 1 1/8 c water, 3 Tbsp. Olive Oil, 1 1/2 tsp. baking
powder, 1 tsp. salt, and 1 Tbsp. artificial sweetener.

The carb count using those amounts was 72.5 gr.carbs and 24.25 grams of
fiber. Subtract the fiber and you end up with 2.99 carbs per slice. (For 16
slices per loaf). If you substitute the oat flour with soy flour and the
bran with flax seed meal, you get a loaf with 64 carbs and 24 grams of
fiber that works out to 2.5 carbs per slice.

If you can't do soy, substitute the soy with oat flour and use only the
flax seed meal (or the bran if you want.) The loaf with all flax will have
72.5 carbs and 14.75 grams of fiber. That works out to 3.6 carbs per slice.

Those carb counts were for the old recipe. Gabi said she got two loaves of
bread from her new recipe with the two eggs in it, so the carb count per
slice would only be about 1 gram. Maybe someone can double check the carb
counts.