Fwd: sourdough rye recipes

Lobo <lobo119@worldnet.att.net>
Sat, 31 Mar 2001 12:18:08 -0700
v101.n019.14
alexmotown@prodigy.net, bread-bakers inquired about sourdough rye recipes.

I posted these on the bread list some time back ... an email friend and I
developed them.

Re converting regular recipes to sourdough, I use the following formula:
   2 c. sourdough = 4/5 c. water + 1 1/5 c. flour.
It works out this way because when I expand my sourdough the night before
baking, I add 3 cups flour and 2 cups water.  If you use different
proportions, you need to use algebra to figure out what your 2 c. of
sourdough starter equals in water and flour.  YES!  There is algebra after
high school!!!

RE: the viability of sourdough starter:  My friend Buddy just reported to
me that he hadn't used our starter (I sent him a dried sample several years
ago) in 8 months.  This week he hauled it out of the refrig with an inch of
hooch on top of it.  It did take 2 days to recover and start working, but
he had good sourdough bread for lunch that week.  Moral?  DON'T believe all
the "musts" you read about handling sourdough like it was eggs ... it's
tough stuff.

BUDDY'S SOURDOUGH RYE - 2 loaves
(People said this one had a stronger rye flavor, they liked it best of the
2 recipes)

The night before:
Expand 1 c. starter with:
1/2 c. rye flour
1/2 c. white flour
2/3 c. water

Next morning add:
1/4 c. water
1/2 T. salt
1 T. sugar
1 T. olive oil
1 T. caraway seeds
1 1/2 c. rye flour
1 c. white flour

Add more (or less) flour as necessary to get a soft dough.  Knead until
satiny.  Place in bowl, cover and let rise until doubled in bulk.  Shape
into loaves, let rise until doubled in bulk.  Bake 40 minutes at 350 or
until it sounds hollow when thumped on the bottom.

Alternate baking method for chewier, salty crust:  Bake 20 minutes at 350F,
paint with salt water, bake 25 minutes more, painting at 10 minute intervals.

BUDDY'S SOURDOUGH RYE - 2 loaves

2 c. expanded starter
1 c. water
2 c. rye flour
1 T. salt
1 T. olive oil
1 T. caraway seeds
3 c. whole wheat flour

Add more (or less) flour as necessary to get a soft dough.  Knead until
satiny.  Place in bowl, cover and let rise until doubled in bulk.  Shape
into loaves, let rise until doubled in bulk.  Bake 40 minutes at 350F or