Re: to slash or not to slash

fred smith <fredex@fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>
Sun, 15 Apr 2001 18:41:10 -0400
v101.n022.19
> --------------- MESSAGE bread-bakers.v101.n019.10 ---------------
>
> From: "Erin Nesmith" <enesmith@earthlink.net>
> Subject: to slash or not to slash
>
> Hello, bakers.
>
> I'm having trouble with slashing a fully proofed loaf that is ready to
> bake.  If I do nothing, the ovenspring produces a big split along one of
> the edges of the rounded top.  It rises from the split, producing a big
> lump, and there goes my symmetrical loaf of bread.  I don't have a lamb (is
> that how you spell it?) and I have tried slashing the proofed dough with a
> serrated bread knife about 1/2" deep before baking, but then I get a big
> flat split in the center of the loaf, and often as not, one of the edges
> still splits.  This happens to me on wheat bread, white bread, just about
> everything I bake.

This indicates that the bread has not "fully proofed", i.e., not risen
to the extent of the leaven you've used, when you put it in the hot oven
to bake. You always get some "oven spring" during the first 5 (more or
less) minutes after putting a loaf into a hot oven. If it still has
significant rising to do the interior of the loaf will be still
expanding after the crust has begun to harden. If the leaven is powerful
enough it will overcome the hardened crust and tear or split it.

This used to happen to me a lot, I think I've learned to actually form
my loaves a little smaller and have had a lot less trouble with this
over the last year or so.

You must judge: Are you making the loaves so big that they can't rise
fully without overflowing your baking pan? or are you just not letting
them rise long enough? It's the same thing, really, but the cure depends
on whether there is ROOM in the pan to rise more or not. Either let them
rise longer before baking, or make them smaller so you CAN let them rise
longer before baking.

Fred