A Bulge in Your Loaf

Terry Vlossak <tvlossak@yahoo.com>
Thu, 26 Apr 2001 15:50:19 -0700 (PDT)
v101.n023.7
To Erin:

I think Fred's hit the nail on the head:  your loaves
have not risen enough before they go into the oven.
There is a certain amount of oven-spring with most
loaves, so factor that into your timing.  I go by feel
and look, not by the amount of time that goes by since
I formed the loaf.  As a general rule, the size of my
loaves almost doubles, not quite, when they're ready
to go into the oven.  I think Fred's solution is very
sensible. And I think you should keep on slashing:  it
releases a lot of tension--in you and in your loaves.
My favorite implement is a very sharp, serrated knife.

Happy Baking, Erin!
Terry