Sourdough Site and other topics

"David Stevens" <dsteve15@earthlink.net>
Wed, 25 Apr 2001 18:12:38 -0500
v101.n023.8
I tossed in a few here together!

http://home.att.net/~carlsfriends/OTbrochure.html
Try the above link for sourdough information.

Preheat on bread machines can heat cold flour
and milk to the heat required to get a good rise from yeast.

Bread machines are easier on people having problems
with kneading due to arthritis and tendonitis or other
similar problems.

The reason bread machine recipes often specify
dry milk is for only one reason. Liquid milk
would spoil if left in the machine for the delay cycle.
The dry milk can be dropped and the water replaced
with milk, if the machine is to be used immediately.

Try tapioca for baking and gravies. It is fun to use and
has more uses than pudding.

While my oven was broken, I steamed bread in a big
pot. Put it well above the water and don't expect any
browning. Good for moist, stickyish, sweet breads.

Instead of a toothpick, use a stick of dry pasta to
test for doneness in baked goods.

Remember, pizza is bread too. Homemade pizza crust
cuts cost and sauce can be made from tomato paste
thinned with water and a little sugar. I would like to hear
of others successes.

And finally, anyone buying yeast in those small packets
should really try a pound from King Arthur or whatever.
Keep it in the freezer and save more money than believed.

Your admiring reader,
David