English Muffin Bread for Microwave Oven

rls-1850@juno.com
Sat, 16 Mar 2002 12:17:46 -0600
v102.n013.6
Barrie J. Lax asked for the recipe from James Beard's _Beard on Bread_,
published 1974; here it is.

	English Muffin Bread for Microwave Oven

[Mr. Beard comments:]  "This recipe was developed for use in a microwave
oven.  It will not brown during baking, but it makes wonderful toast with
excellent flavor, and you don't need a brown loaf to make toast, really.
This is as close to original English muffins as you can possibly get, and I
find it highly satisfactory.  You are going to be amused watching this
bread rise in the microwave oven."

5 cups all-purpose flour, approximately
2 packages active dry yeast
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
2 teaspoons salt
2 1/2 cups milk
1/4 teaspoon baking soda dissolved in 1 tablespoon warm water

In a large mixing bowl combine 3 cups of the flour, the yeast, sugar, and
salt.  Heat the milk in a saucepan until warm (100 to 115 F) and add to the
flour mixture, beating by hand or in a mixer until quite smooth.  Stir in
enough of the remaining flour to make a stiff batter, adding a little more
flour if needed.  Cover the bowl, place in a warm place, and let the batter
rise until ight and doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.

Stir down the yeast batter and thoroughly blend in the dissolved soda.
Divide the batter between two oiled 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 2 1/2-inch tins or 1
1/2-quart souffle dishes.  Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled
in bulk, about 45 minutes.  Cook each loaf, uncovered, in the microwave
oven for 6 minutes and 30 seconds, or until no doughy spots remain.  Cool
for 5 minutes, then loosen the edges and remove from the pan.  Cool
completely.  To serve, slice and toast.

[My note:  I don't imagine Mr. Beard meant "tins" literally.  As for baking
time, you'll no doubt have to experiment with your own oven and its power
settings.  Hope this works out for you.       - Ron]