Starters for Bread

"S&R Ash" <db1753@dragonbbs.com>
Sat, 23 Mar 2002 12:06:30 -0500
v102.n014.4
It was interesting to read all the postings about starters and the history
of them. Ed Daltons post really made me smile. I have friends who worry so
over keeping an old starter going and have a nervous breakdown if they
think they are dying. After I was married I was given the Friendship
starter, and another starter for Sourdough breads. I nearly had a breakdown
trying to give that stuff away as it multiplied so quickly I couldn't keep
up with it. Also we were military and how do you move starters from base to
base, and pillar to post. One day I completely lost it and threw it all out
back of the house.  TOO Much trouble! I felt better almost immediately.

I have a Sourdough Bread I make from a recipe book called "Four In One
Cookbook Collection" by Betty Crocker. I use the starter for the recipe,
and after I am done throw out all the left over mess. My nerves couldn't
deal with it all.
I have wonderful bread everytime and no worries. <grin> If I think I am
going to make several loaves in a few weeks I do keep it going until we are
done. Then throw it out. (I never liked a sour taste anyway.)
SEA
P.S. I will send a little story about my Grandma and her starter as a new
bride if its okay to share a story here that is true.