Sally Lunn

"Joni Repasch" <jrepasch@infi.net>
Tue, 26 Mar 2002 17:19:23 -0400
v102.n014.15
I know I'm real late in responding to this request and someone else I'm
sure has sent in a recipe but here is mine.
joni

JONI'S SALLY LUNN FOR ELECTRIC MIXERS

Time from start to finish: about 6 hours

1 qt bread flour (5 cups in humid weather)
3 large or 4 small eggs, separated
1/2 cup Crisco shorting and 1/2 cup butter (mixed & melted)
1 cup tepid milk
3 Tbsp sugar
2 tsp salt
2 1/4 tsp instant yeast
1/4 -1/2 cup lukewarm water

1. Weigh out 1 lb of flour & place in mixing bowl. Weigh out 4 more ounces
of flour and place in another bowl; set aside. To the 1 lb of flour add the
sugar and yeast. Mix well and set aside. Measure salt in separate
container. Set aside.

2. Melt shortening and butter (NOT BUBBLY). Cool slightly (about 100 F) (I
use microwave)

3. Heat the milk and water in separate containers (I use microwave)

4. Separate eggs; pour the egg whites into the electric mixing bowl and
whip using the whipping attachment until soft peaks form. Pour into a small
bowl and set aside.

5. Place the yolks into the mixing bowl and whip until foamy. Lower the
speed to about 2 and add the melted and cooled shortening/ butter mixture.
Add warm milk and about 1/4 cup warm water. Beat well. Switch to paddle
attachment and at low speed add the 1 lb of flour about 1 cup at a time.
Add the whipped egg yolks and the salt. Batter should be a little thicker
than waffle batter, but much too slack to knead. If batter is too thin add
some of the reserved flour; if too thick a little more of water.

6. Brush with melted butter, cover with plastic wrap and towel; set aside
in warm place until it rises to double in size. About 3 hours. (Some
recipes call for beating down the batter each hour).

7. Still using paddle attachment beat the batter for 5 full minutes at low
speed. Pour into greased tube pan, cover with greased plastic wrap and a
clean towel; let rise again (1-1/2 to 2 hours). Brush with melted butter
just before baking.

8. Preheat oven to 325 F for 15 minutes.

9. Bake in moderate oven about 45 minutes. IMPORTANT: Start baking at 325
F. When half done (22 minutes) INCREASE to 375 F and bake another 22 to 25
minutes.

10. Allow baked bread to rest about 1/2 hour before serving. Serve warm
with lots of butter.

PS. Good toasted.

NOTES:

This dough is too thin to knead. Nonetheless, it should be much thicker
than cake batter. If more than 4 cups flour is required, add another cup
slowly after all other ingredients have been incorporated. Blend well.

SOURCE: Revisions by Joni Repasch and adapted from Mrs Charles Lambeth,
from: Old North State Cook Book, Charlotte, NC, and contributed to The
Southern Cook Book, 1951, by Marion Brown. Inspired by Mary Jones Thompson
(my paternal grandmother, Christiansburg, Virginia)

January 17, 2002

YIELD: 12-14 servings