New bread baking school in NYC

"Louise Hyson" <lhyson@mindspring.com>
Tue, 25 Jun 2002 15:00:02 -0400
v102.n027.7
I just went through the Dining section of the May 29th NY Times which I
brought back when we returned from our trip north and found the following
small article which I thought was very interesting and it might be of
interest to the bread bakers.

"The increasing demand from restaurants and shops for stylish. artisanal
breads and pastries has lead to the establishment of the Artisan Baking
Center, a school at 36-46 37th Street in Long Island City, Queens.  The
center, which teaches experienced bakers and those seeking jobs to work on
the artisanal level, just completed a two year pilot program and is fully
operating.  Tuition is free.  The center is suported by baking companies
and union groups, including the Consortium for Worker Education.  there is
a job placement program and English-language training.  In the fall the
center will offer baking classes to the public in its spacious professional
kitchen."