using and storing instant yeast

NuttyBakerGirl <rokzane@dimensional.com>
Sat, 24 Aug 2002 07:05:02 -0600
v102.n038.2
"I bought some yeast that I would like some tips using.  I have always used
the yeast that is in the little envelopes.  This is Fleischmann's Instant
Yeast and it is in a vaccuum sealed, 16 oz. brick package.  Like I have
seen some coffee packaged.  Should I store it in the pantry before it is
opened, since it was just on the shelf in the store?  Should I refrigerate
it once opened like it says or put it in the freezer like I've heard some
of you talk about? (I'm not sure if you all were talking about this kind of
yeast)  And finally, how do I use this?  Does it need to be proofed?  How
much do I use?"

Once you bring instant yeast home, I would advise opening it and dumping
the yaest into an air tight container and either storing it in the fridge
or freezer (where ever you have room).  It will last only a couple of
months if stored in the pantry, but will last forever in the fridge or
freezer. You use less instant yeast than active dry yeast in recipes and
you don't proof it at all, you just mix it with the dry ingredients before
adding the liquids. Whatever you do, you don't want to mix the yeast
directly with salt or cold liquids; it will slow down the yeast and it
could kill it.

The envelopes of active dry yeast are 2 1/2 tsps. With the instant yeast
you only use 2 tsps to replace the active dry yeast.