types of yeast.

Nifcon@aol.com
Mon, 2 Sep 2002 16:44:16 EDT
v102.n039.12
Chris wrote:

 > I really hate to contradict other posters, but in the interests of
 > accuracy, I feel that I must. A number of posts replying to a question on
 > yeast stated that instant yeast and rapid rise yeast are the same. But
 > according to King Arthur Flour, they are different creatures. Quoted below
 > is their answer when asked the same question

<snip>

 >Unlike both active dry yeast and instant yeast, rapid rise yeast is a whole
 >different strain of yeast altogether. If active dry and instant yeast were
 >marathon runners, rapid rise yeast would be a sprinter. It gives bread a
 >speedy initial rise, but dies out quickly. Avoid rapid rise yeast when you
 >want to develop flavor in the bread through long rising times.

Well I don't care what King Arthur says, I've used any available yeast of
all types and many origins in fermentations ranging from 1 1/2 hours to 4
days and I've never seen any major difference in yeast action so I still
consider that sound technique in the mixing, kneading and shaping are more
important than the type of yeast you use. Besides, the major purpose of
King Arthur is to sell more yeast. It's a bit like the washing powder
companies who try to sell several washing powders, one for whites, one for
colours, one for kids, one for pet clothes - I exaggerate of course but the
principal is sound.

John