Pan de Huevos

"Sonia Martinez" <akakainn@verizon.net>
Sat, 7 Sep 2002 09:06:55 -1000
v102.n041.6
There is a recipe, popular in Mexico for PAN DE HUEVOS used mainly for
November 2nd or Dia de los Muertos (day of the dead). The Mexicans also
have another egg bread called Pan Dulce. I think I posted the Cuban version
of Pan Dulce here sometime ago along with the Pan Cubano recipe. I use this
recipe for Halloween.

PAN DE HUEVOS

1 1/2 cups of flour
1/2 cup of sugar
1 teaspoon of salt
1 tablespoon of anise seed (optional)
2 packets of dry yeast
1/2 cup of milk
1/2 cup of water
1/2 cup of butter
4 eggs
from 3 - 4 1/2 cups of flour

Mix all dry ingredients together except the 3 - 4 1/2 cups of flour.

In a small pan, heat the milk, the water, and the butter. Add the liquid
mixture to the dry mixture. Beat well.

Mix in the eggs and 1 1/2 cups of flour. Beat well.
Put in the rest of the flour, little by little.

Knead the mixture on a floured board for 9 - 10 minutes.
Put the dough in a greased bowl and allow it to rise until it has doubled
in size (about an hour and a half at sea level).

Punch the dough down and reshape it with some "bone" shapes on top to
decorate it. (bone shapes if to be used Nov 2nd or here on Halloween)(*)

Let it rise another hour.

Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for about 40 minutes.

After baking, sprinkle it with confectioner's sugar and colored sugar.

(*)To Maintain the shape during the baking process, make the bones (or any
other dough decorations) ahead and freeze.  Place on top of the bread and
glue on with water just before placing bread in oven.  Do the customary egg
wash.

Sonia