Ed - Weight and Metric

Nifcon@aol.com
Sat, 7 Sep 2002 17:22:13 EDT
v102.n041.8
Way to go Ed! I weigh everything I put in my bread and don't know how
anyone can stand the totally unnecessary and laborious calculation involved
in applying bakers' percentage formulae (the best and most compact methoxd
of describing a bread's ingredients) to pounds, ounces and all the  rest of
the imperial stew of  measures derived from some king's left foot shoe
size. Actually the units aren't as  stupid as the relationships between
them. And as for volume measurement, words fail me!

All that said I think you'll agree that all ANY sytem of measurement can
give you is a good starting point. It's rare that a batch of bread mixes to
exactly the required consistency without some small adjustment but using
metric weights gets you closer than any other measuring method.

John