re:mixers

Sandy <sandykrause@comcast.net>
Mon, 16 Sep 2002 10:37:48 -0400
v102.n042.17
CJC and Barb,

     When looking for a new mixer, I have had a Kitchen Aid for about 10
years that I love but wanted something with a larger capacity because it
would only knead recipes with 5-6 cups of flour, I compared the Bosch and
the Magic Mill.  Magic Mill had a 450 watt motor and costs approximately
$450.  The Bosch Universal has a 700 watt motor for approximately $300.  I
asked and asked but could not find anyone to explain this difference to
me.  No one could say, get the Magic Mill because.........  so I bought the
Bosch.  I've had it for about 6 months and love it.  So CJC, I would
suggest you at least look at this machine.

And Barb, I don't know what the capacity of the Compact is, the Universal
holds 12 pounds but I never make more than 2 loaves at a time.

My reasoning was that I thought that it was worth the approximately $100
difference for the 700 watt vs. the 450 watt motor in the Compact.  My
thinking was that the stronger motor would have less stress and would
therefore last longer.  This may not be true, but it made sense to me. Good
luck in your decisions!

     Sandy in Maryland

Anyway, I've almost stopped using my Zo, and have started using the Kitchen
Aid.  I was reading with interest the thread on the Magic Mill, and was=20
almost ready to buy one (450 watt / 8 quart / $450) because of what=20
everyone said about the kneading action.

Then, I saw an advertisement for the "DeLonghi" (800 watt / 7 quart /
$400=20 w/ Blender attachment).  It says it will operate 12 different
attachments, like a pasta maker, juicer, etc., which would sure help me get
rid of a lot of appliances. BUT - my main concern is the kneading.

Does anyone have any input on this mixer?

TIA

CJC

I want to get something for us that can do a couple of loaves a week - that
is why I looked at the Kitchen Aid and Compact.  Is the Universal too
much=20 for what I need?

All thoughts/comments (good and bad) would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Barb