Searching for roll recipe

"Jeanette or Norbert Jacobs" <jacobs@devtex.net>
Mon, 16 Sep 2002 23:01:51 -0500
v102.n042.18
This was a new one on me...

My husband and I recently visited a fascinating retreat called the
Homestead Heritage Farm that is located a few miles northwest of Waco,
Texas.  The "farm" appeared to be run by a large group of people who are
perhaps Mennonites or Anabaptists...similar to what the general public
might correlate with our Amish friends.  Their facility had large,
hand-hewn barns where they taught pottery, furniture making, ironwork,
etc.  And in their gift shop, they offered for sale their wares of homespun
dresses, Mustang Grape jelly, goat-milk soaps, stained glass, and the
like.  But I was especially intrigued by their restaurant.

In their deli, they made wonderful homemade breads, sandwiches, and soups
from their own stone-ground flours and cornmeal.  Each was spectacular!
When I double-backed there before we left, I was determined to have one of
their sweet rolls that were stacked in their display case. I grabbed (yes,
I paid for it!) the last roll they had that was called a "Bahgi".  (Not
sure on the spelling; maybe it was Bahji, or something similar to that.)

Anyway, this roll was such a surprise because although it looked like a
sweet roll...almost like what we call a "kolache"....it was not sweet, but
was savory.  The wheat dough (not white) was rolled into a circle, and the
"filling" on the top was a cream cheese base, but it had fresh grated onion
in it, and I think I tasted a little bacon in there somewhere.

If anyone knows of a similar recipe for this little jewel, please post it
to the list.  They were wonderful!  Now I know why it was out-selling all
the other flavors in the case!

By the way, for more info on this wonderful Homestead farm, they have a
web-site:  http://www.homesteadheritage.com
It has some great pictures of the place!  If you, too, would like to visit,
I can recommend a really good Bed & Breakfast that we stayed in...just
holler back.

	Thanks,
	Jeanette in South Texas