Re: bubbling pizza crust

"Mark Judman" <Mark_Judman@colpal.com>
Mon, 25 Nov 2002 10:38:05 -0500
v102.n055.18
I too used to be troubled by giant bubbles forming on my pizzas when I
would partially bake them, un-topped, in order to get a nice crisp crust.
I'd squeeze down the bubbles using my peel after about a minute, but they'd
usually re-form, anyway. I did this for years. But no more! I've solved the
problem to my satisfaction. I no longer pre-bake, un-topped.

My technique:
1. Oven at max, 550 F., for me.  If your oven goes higher, do it.
2. Use a pizza stone (or baking stone).
3. Thin crust.
4. Crust is spread with olive oil first, to water-proof it from the sauce
and other toppings, and for flavor (of course).

Crust bubbling is now within the normal or acceptable range and I get a
nice crisp crust.  (I too use Carol Field's "Italian Baker" dough.)

Mark Judman   <Mark_Judman@colpal.com>