re: copyright issues

Lobo <lobo119@attbi.com>
Sat, 26 Apr 2003 12:45:54 -0600
v103.n022.7
You wrote to the bread list re: copyright and I do agree with you.  I have a
few comments though.

snip
 >It also puts me in hot water (not tepid, not cold .... hot!) with
editors >who hire me to write a bread feature and then see exclusive
recipes I >developed for them on these sorts of lists. It discredits me
.... and while >I cannot control it - it has caused horrific problems with
print and online >editors and in fact, negates my freelance work.
snip

Your editors are very naive if they are blaming you for this.  It does show
that people are reading their websites.  AND how on earth can it be YOUR
fault if people like your recipes and copy them??

 >snip
 >As I said - perhaps other colleagues feel differently about copyright
 >issues and recipe sharing at this level than I do, but it would not hurt
 >at all -to inform people, on this very special list,  BEFORE you publish
 >their recipes in a broadcast email.
snip

I just looked up the BetterBaking site and the maple bread recipe (it
sounds like a wonderful cinnamon bread!!).  When I clicked on "print
version" for the recipe, there was no credit to yourself or the site
included.  It would be an excellent idea to include a copyright notice at
the bottom when the recipe is posted on your site and, of course, people
should request permission before posting it elsewhere.

I hope you will post some recipes to the bread bakers list.  It's a great
group and I've gotten some wonderful recipes off it.

Lobo