rustic whole wheat bread

"carlton" <carlton@wave.net>
Tue, 3 Jun 2003 06:37:01 -0700
v103.n027.6
My wife prefers a rustic whole wheat bread which contains what she calls
"crunchies" so I have been trying different combinations of cracked wheat,
bulgar, Kashi hot cereal, etc. For quite a while I have added one cup of
Bob's 5-grain cereal to the sponge, made the night before making the bread,
but yesterday I also added a cup of Bob's 8 grain cereal to the mixture in
the morning when making the final dough. It not only added nice "crunchies"
but added a nice flavor to the final bread. I should add that the recipe I
am using produces three 1 lb 9 oz loaves plus six 1 1/2 oz. sandwuch buns.

Note: using the sponge method I am able to obtain an excellent rise using
just 1/2 tsp yeast in the sponge and 1 1/2 tsp in the final dough - both
measurements are heaping.

If I can keep the wife happy the rest of the world goes very well.
Dick Carlton, Brokings, OR