FW: Crockpot Bread Recipes for Beverly

"Jean Gortney" <jgortney@sitestar.net>
Tue, 5 Aug 2003 10:47:12 -0400
v103.n034.14
The Rival Crockpot has several bread and cake recipes using their Bread 'n
Cake Bake pan.  When you buy the crockpot, it usually has a coupon to send
for the pan.  I don't know if you could use a coffee can or something.  The
pan has a lid with air holes.  This one of their recipes:

RICH WHITE BATTER BREAD
1 pack active dry yeast
1 teaspoon sugar
1 cup very warm water
2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 egg
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
2 1/2 to 3 cups flour

Mix yeast, teaspoon of sugar, and water.  Let stand about 10 minutes, until
it bubbles.

Add salt, tablespoon sugar, egg, butter, and 1 1/2 cups flour.  Beat 2
minutes with electric mixer.

Stir in remaining flour until mixture forms stiff dough.

Pour batter into well-greased Bread 'n Cake Bake pan, cover, let rest 15
minutes.

Put in crockpot, cover, and bake on high 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours.

For raisin bread:
Substitute 1/4 cup brown sugar for 1 teaspoon white sugar.  Add 1 cup
raisins and 1 teaspoon cinnamon with flour.

I have made it and it works, but don't give it any extra rising before
putting in the crockpot.
Some of their cautions:  Don't open crockpot to check during the first hour
of cooking.  If adapting your own recipe, don't fill pan more than 2/3 full.